STEM Intern - Research Assistant
STEM Intern - Research Assistant
- Flexible Work Hours: 10-15 hours per week, complimentary to Class Schedules
- Great Resume-Building Work in an R & D setting!
- Pay: $15-$20 per hours, commensurate with experience
- Innovation Park, State College, PA Work Location
- Easy Access Options: CATA “Red Link” bus service, bike racks, or convenient on-site parking
spotLESS Materials, Inc. is an exciting startup spinning out multifunctional anti-fouling coating technology originally developed by Penn State researchers with the mission of using technology to make a positive global impact in sanitation, water, and sustainability. Based in State College, PA, spotLESS Materials, Inc. is currently seeking local talent for a Research Assistant position to expand and facilitate our research and development initiatives.
Research Assistant position details:
We are looking for a capable, passionate, and reliable STEM Intern Research Assistant to support our company’s growing research and development activities. As a STEM Intern Research Assistant, you will perform scientific literature surveys, plan and conduct scientific experiments, collect and analyze data, and prepare and summarize project results and report to project supervisors.
- Conduct literature review
- Develop experimental plans and procedures under the guidance of a project supervisor
- Perform routine experimental characterizations and measurements of surface coatings under the guidance of a project supervisor
- Collect and analyze data
- Maintain an accurate record of laboratory data
- Prepare experimental plots and summarize project results
- Prepare presentation materials
- Prepare progress reports
- Attend project meetings
- Perform other related duties as required by the project supervisor
- Bachelor degree or undergraduate student career track in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Engineering Science and Mechanics, and/or Biomedical Engineering
- Ability to work independently and accurately with excellent organization and problem solving skills
- Ability to apply sound research techniques, methodology, and logical critical analysis
- Detailed note taking and laboratory data organization skills
- Attention to detail
- Timeliness and excellent time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills via email, Slack, etc.
- Must inform supervisors of any conflicts at least 24 hours in advance
- Must respond quickly to verbal and written communication
- Ability to safely handle chemical when performing experiments following new employee safety training,
- Must follow lab safety procedures
- Computer competency; interest and ability to learn new software
- Team player with organizational skills
- The job requires having the physical dexterity and ability to also handle experimental samples and operate experimental equipment, including but not limited to:
- Regularly work on repetitive experimental measurements
- Regularly use hands and fingers to manipulate, control, or feel objects, including small samples (~1 – 5 cm in size)
- Regularly use fine finger mobility
- Regularly use chemicals
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including, but not limited to gloves and eye protection
- Must be able to read and understand, an appropriately apply information found on product safety data sheets
- Regularly speak clearly so listeners can understand
- Regularly understand the speech of another person
- If hired, must adhere to all company policies and procedures, lab safety protocol, and other industry-related best practices/standards
NOTE: This role involves chemical handling, so some familiarity/working knowledge of lab safety is a definite plus
Check out our website! To apply, tell us why you are interested in this position in a short cover letter and include your resume. Answer a few questions and click submit. It's that easy to apply right now!
- This is NOT a remote work position; all work is to be performed from the company’s office which is sited in Innovation Park in State College, PA.
- The company actively assists CPT/OPT-eligible students in achieving their career objectives; CPT/OPT eligible applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. This company does not sponsor applicants for work visas.
- The Company reserves the right to alter, change, modify and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation. No recruiters, please; principal applicants only.
spotLESS Materials, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability/vets. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.